Assistant Strength Coach
Optimize Fitness & Performance (OFP) is dedicated to becoming the premier destination for fitness coaching in Southeastern Massachusetts. OFP is different from most personal training gyms in that we focus on semi-private personal training and on small group strength training.
We welcome both experienced and novice coaches to apply, so long as they’re willing to be a part of a team and are open to new ideas.
Ideally, the coaching staff at OFP will grow to become a “board of experts”. The ideal candidate will have a specialty niche of their own (a passion project) that they will be encouraged to develop and market over time, with the help of owner Devin Gray, CSCS.
The ideal candidate might not be an expert coach – yet, but is willing to study and be mentored. We require new coaches to take part in our Coaching Development Course, where they’ll learn the ins and outs of how we coach all our clients. We’re willing to hire for personality, and train for talent.
Assistant Coaches will be required to coach clients according to our training model. That said, both input and criticism are welcome regarding improving our training methodology. The ideal coaching candidate will be able to contribute to and help shape our training systems.
- Weekdays from 4PM – 8PM, with the possibility for AM hours in the future
- Saturdays from 6:30AM – 12:30PM
- We are hiring for 10-20 hours per week. This position is a minimum of 2 weeknights and a maximum of 4 weeknights and Saturday morning.
- Degree in exercise science or related field preferred, OR current, NCCA-accredited personal training or strength & conditioning certification OR 2+ years experience
- Current CPR/First Aid + AED certification
- Is neat, clean, friendly, and empathetic (Jillian Michaels types, yellers, and screamers need not apply)
- Enjoys coaching in a team atmosphere
- Is passionate about self-improvement and expresses a willingness to continue learning and mastering the fields of exercise science, nutrition, and coaching
- MUST sign non-compete/confidentiality agreement
PRIMARY PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES (Assistant Strength Coach):
- Personal training, nutrition coaching, progression and regression of training exercises
- Maintaining a safe training atmosphere for all clients and visitors
- Following the standards, expectations, and exercise programming set by the Head Coach
- Accountability coaching and tracking
- Attendance at continuing education events and staff in-services
SECONDARY PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Outstanding customer service
- Client management tasks including scheduling, confirmation, and attendance tracking
- Responsible for maintenance of all fitness equipment and cleanliness of facility
- Assistance with marketing, sales, and administrative duties as required
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- $20-$30 per coached hour for Assistant Strength Coaches, with possibility of bonuses for sales, referrals, sessions coached, and retention
- Education Benefit of $500 per year, contingent upon pre-approval of education resource by management
- Mentorship and participation in our Coaching Development Course
- This is a part-time position with room to advance in the company
- E-mail a resume and cover letter to Devin Gray at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line – “Assistant Strength Coach – Application”
- If you don’t fit the criteria exactly, but are excited and passionate about this job, you should still e-mail Devin. We’re looking for great people, first, and will train you for talent.
- High School Diploma or its equivalent
- Trustworthy and able to maintain confidentiality
- Good handwriting
- People person – friendly, professional, and kind
- Tech-savvy and comfortable with computers
- Ability to work independently and make decisions in accordance with established policies and regulations
- Willing to learn or perform skills associated with business operations including, but not limited to, client management software, billing, website management, social media management, etc.
Keep the business running smoothly, efficiently, and professionally to the benefit of all members and staff.
There are 3 critical goals:
- Keep the business running smoothly, efficiently, and professionally
- Take responsibility for providing an incredible experience for our personal training members
- Assist the owner in improving the gym by taking responsibility for project management and the appearance of the gym
REQUIRED PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform customer service duties including answering/returning phone calls, responding to emails, and greeting clients and visitors
- Perform client management tasks including scheduling, confirmation, attendance tracking, billing, managing client management software, and organizing clients’ training binders/files
- Follow up with clients and leads who miss appointments and training sessions
- Assists with coordinating live events and specialty workshops including planning, reservations, material preparation, attendee inquiries, order taking, processing, customer service, and other related live event duties; event attendance may be required
- Maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the facility
- Project management
- $11-13 per hour to start, with the prospect of improving (higher pay will be considered for applicants with expertise in marketing, design, and/or social media)
- ~10 hours per week, part-time position, with possibility to advance within company
- Very flexible hours
- Free personal training membership
- E-mail a resume and cover letter to Devin Gray at email@example.com with the subject line – “Administrative Assistant – Application”
Optimize Fitness & Performance provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Optimize Fitness & Performance complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Optimize Fitness & Performance expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Optimize Fitness & Performance’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.