We’re One of Thumbtack’s “Best Personal Trainers of 2015”!
There’s just one catch: we were named the “Best Cheap Personal Trainer” in Franklin.
That’s.. dubious, to say the least. We’d prefer “Best, Most Affordable Personal Trainer”. In fact, it’s our mission to provide affordable, high quality personal training and fitness coaching. We set out to provide a different experience from day 1. We want to change the way that people think about personal training, fitness, and nutrition.
In our opinion, most people are paying way too much for personal training. Even worse, many of them pay too much to work with an inexperienced, under-educated personal trainer.
Here’s our story of how we got started, and why we decided not to be like every other personal trainer
When Devin Gray, our head coach & founder, started working at a local health club, he had a degree in exercise physiology, three years experience working with U.S. Army cadets, and the gold-standard certification in strength & conditioning. He was instructed to charge $80 per hour for a single session. If clients paid up-front for 24 sessions ($1,200) it was “only” $50 per session. Talk about sticker shock!
Soon after, a brand new personal trainer was hired with an entry-level certification and no experience. That new trainer also charged $50-80 per hour! This was the norm in the area, and many businesses charged even more. Devin also noticed that most private, 1 on 1 personal training sessions were ineffective. Clients learned quickly in the beginning, but soon outgrew the need for a 1 on 1 personal trainer. It was common to see a training session that had more talking in it than working out!
Think about it – in most environments, students learn best in a small group or team-based atmosphere – even in professional sports teams, college classrooms, and advanced military training. Finally, Devin was disturbed by the fear and the expectations that many people had of their personal trainer.
All of these observations led him to decide that private personal training not just overpriced, but also ineffective!
Devin opened Optimize Fitness & Performance shortly afterwards with the goal of providing affordable personal training – without sacrificing the quality of coaching or the results of his clients. He also wanted to provide a service where education and independence were key to the experience.
We believe we’ve accomplished each of those goals by providing semi-private personal training instead of private, 1 on 1 personal training. It’s more affordable, more effective, and more fun that private personal training. In semi-private personal training, anywhere from 1 to 4 people work with a single coach. But – each person still has a 100% personalized program and receives individualized coaching. You still have all the benefits of a personal trainer, but it’s a fraction of the cost and the results are better.
Here are the top ten qualities that set us apart and made us one of Thumbtack’s “Best Personal Trainers of 2015”.
- Our clients are the top priority. Their goals, abilities, and challenges are important to us. Simply put, “we meet you where you’re at” and keep your goals in mind. A fat loss program is very different from a injury post-rehabilitation program and from a sports performance program. Similarly, we use appropriate exercises for the individual in front of us – you won’t get banged up from our program.
- We know what it takes to get in the best shape of your life. Our clients learn what to prioritize in their fitness & nutrition, and what not to waste time on. By focusing on becoming stronger, fitter, and more athletic, they’re able to achieve their goals in less time.
- Our clients learn how to create healthy habits that last a lifetime. They break the cycle of yo-yo weight loss, fad diets, and extreme workouts that only leave them hurt and frustrated. We meet our clients where they’re at to provide simple, step-by-step instruction.
- No secrets – every client gets a full program up front. It’s theirs to keep and it’s updated monthly. This way, clients “build their own fitness book” as they progress. It includes their customized plans for strength training, cardiovascular workouts, flexibility, and nutrition, This fosters independence and a deeper understanding of what really works for them.
- We’re patient, understanding, and have realistic expectations. Pop culture says that fitness must be insanely difficult. Every workout has to be the hardest of your life, right? Not here! We start small, start slow, and build up to great things.
- We know that less can be more: Many 1 on 1 personal trainers are guilty of over-coaching, cheerleading, or both. We know how to give the perfect cue at just the right time – and then let you do your thing! Our clients appreciate our commitment to independence.
- Our personal training is a fraction of the price: Our personal training sessions are just $35-40 per hour, not $50, $80, or even $100+ per hour. Our semi-private approach lets us keep prices reasonable while delivering outstanding results. We also bill monthly, not all upfront.
- We’re constantly learning and improving. Our coaches are constantly learning and refining through a mix of certifications, books, DVDs, and hands-on workshops.
- We work as a team with other health & wellness providers. Our clients don’t just get us – they get access to our connections with nutritionists, physical therapists, massage therapists, yoga instructors, and chiropractors. You’ll get all the help you need to reach your goals.
- Our clients love our personable, motivational, and realistic coaching style. We don’t yell at, scream at, or belittle our clients; unlike a certain TV personal trainer. We know how to hold people accountable in a way that is motivating and uplifting, not crushing and embarrassing.
Don’t just take our word for it, see what our clients are saying!
Even more reviews are available on our Yelp page. (Make sure you read the reviews that are “not recommended”!) And if you want to see our clients in action, check out the #shopFranklin Photo Spotlight of Optimize Fitness & Performance here. We’re grateful for the support and kind words of our clients, and happy to have been able to provide a great experience to so many. It’s an honor to receive an award, even if we’re “cheap”.
Do you want to get into incredible shape, but don’t know where to start?
Rest assured, you’re not alone. Many of our clients felt the same way when they came to us. We’ll help you start on a customized action plan. We’ll meet you where you’re at, help you stay focused, and keep you accountable as you work to achieve your goals.
Click below to register for a free Success Session with Devin, or call 508-507-9008 to book an appointment.
Get Fit Today!
Meet with our head personal trainer and nutrition coach, Devin Gray, CSCS, for a free 15 Minute Phone Consultation to discuss your goals.
Get Your Free Fat Loss Guide!“Fat Loss Guide: 5 Simple Habits That Can Slim Your Waist (No Calorie Counting Required!)”
Personal Trainer and Nutrition Coach
NSCA-CSCS, FMSC, Pn1 Certified
B.S. in Exercise Science - Texas A&M University, Cum Laude
Devin is the owner & head coach of Optimize Fitness & Performance. He is an exercise geek, with a long list of certifications and coursework for personal training, nutrition coaching, and injury post-rehabilitation. In his personal workouts, Devin combines gymnastics drills, free weights, and kettlebell exercises to stay fit.
You can e-mail Devin at [email protected].